Energy Saving Tips
More Texans than ever are interested in saving energy. Tips for every-day electricity use can go a long way in helping you save money and preserve the planet. Whether you're looking for information on getting the most out of your home energy, tips on exploring green energy, tips for switching electricity companies, or ways to use less electricity, you've come to the right place.
Have you made the decision to conserve energy? Tips that you can use in your home today are below.
Save Energy: Tips for Heating and Cooling
- Use a programmable thermostat and keep settings at 78°F / 25°C in the summer and 68°F / 20°C in the winter
- Check air conditioning ducts for leaks and replace air filters regularly
- Shop around for green technologies such as energy star air conditioners and geothermal heat pumps
- Seal joints, windows and doors with caulk to prevent air loss
- Optimize sun in the winter by keeping shades open. Block sun from heating your home in the summer with blinds and tinted glass.
- Make sure windows are up-to-date and appropriate for your region
- Move heat-generating devices such as TVs away from your AC thermostat. Keep your AC units shaded outside.
- Have your air conditioning and heating systems serviced every year by a professional.
- Clean your air conditioner's condenser / evaporator coils at the beginning of the season
- Use insulation in attics, garages and other areas exposed to external temperatures.
How to Reduce Electricity Usage
- Turn out the lights when you are not using them!
- Running fans do not lower room temperature when you are away. Keep them off unless you are in the room.
- Use energy-star appliances whenever possible.
- Use power strips / Unplug electronics and appliances when not in use
- Invest in compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) instead of standard incandescent bulbs
- Use appropriate refridgerator temperatures ( 38°F / 3°C) and freezer tempuratures (5°F / -15°C)
- Clean refrigerator coils (under or behind your unit) to help it run more efficiently
- Check refrigerator door seals to make sure they close tightly.
- Clean the lint filter in the dryer before every load / Air dry clothes or dishes when it is an option
- Clean filters and service appliances in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
- Pre-heat food in the microwave and then finish cooking in a conventional oven
Hidden Costs of Hot Water
- Keep water heater thermostat set at 'normal' -- or 120°F / 48°C when home
- Use the 'vacation' setting on your water heater when away
- Don’t let the water run while brushing your teeth
- Use cold water for laundry
Shop Electricity Rates Texas brings competing energy companies together, side by side, to compete for your business. We give you the stats on each provider and let you make the decision that works best for your budget and lifestyle. Simply enter your ZIP code and get direct comparisons of plans and pricing for select companies near you. We give you options. You take it from there.
In Texas, you have the unique opportunity to choose your electricity provider. Shop Electricity Rates Texas gives you the tools you need to start comparing electricity companies in your area. Take advantage of the competitive marketplace and begin shopping for your electricity supplier today!